FACULTY PROSPECTUS: (PDF)
It offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees catering for all levels of the education sector. It not only seeks to engage students in teacher education, but to stimulate professionalism and excellence in research, and community engagement.
The Windhoek and Ongwediva campuses offer all phases of teacher education, from pre-primary to secondary education, while the Rundu and Katima Mulilo campuses prepare teachers from pre-primary to upper-primary level (grade 0-7) only. Both Ongwediva (starting 2012) and Windhoek campuses offer science and mathematics specializations for teaching at secondary school level.
The vision of the University of Namibia is to be an outstanding teaching and research university capable of addressing the challenges facing our society. The Faculty of Education is committed to this vision. We therefore strive to provide a quality education to our students and become the centre of excellence in the provision of teacher education and related services within the country, the region and beyond. Our mission and vision therefore reflect these aspirations:
- Provide quality services in higher education through quality teaching, research and community engagement.
- Promote educational innovation.
- Equip pre- and in-service teachers with knowledge, skills and attitudes that promote best practices.
The Faculty offers several diplomas, undergraduate and graduate programmes:
- Diploma in Adult Education
- Post-Graduate diploma in Education
- Further diploma in Education (specialization in Mathematics, Physical Science, and Biology) through the Centre for External Studies. We are revising this diploma to include Accounting.
- Specialized Diploma in Educational Management and Leadership.
- Bachelor of Education (with specialization in Adult Education, or Mathematics and Science Education, or Social Science Education). This programme prepares pre-service and in-service teachers to teach in Secondary Schools.
- Bachelor of Education (with specialization in Pre- and Lower Primary as well as Upper-Primary).
- Bachelor of Education (with specialization in Inclusive Education prepares in-service teachers to improve their competence in the teaching of learners with reading and numeracy difficulties in the primary school).
- Master of Education (in different areas of specialization).
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education.
Academic staff in the Faculty is involved in various research and consultancy activities related to Namibia as well as to SADC (Southern African region). The areas include:
- Cognition, teaching and learning.
- Gender, Life-Long learning.
- School leadership.
- Assessment of Teaching and Learning, Information Communication Technology, English Language Proficiency, Teacher Education Reform, Education for Sustainable Development.
- Mathematics and Science Education among others.
Academic staff members are also involved in various community engagement projects, including working with The Namibian Government as well as the private sector. Staff members serve on various Ministry of Education committees and task forces, involved in community youth development programmes, mentoring of young professionals in the private sector, building capacity of academic colleagues in other faculties on the UNAM campuses, among others. Visit our staff profiles to find more information on this.
Why you should consider a career in teaching….
For the following good reasons:
- Teachers open up the minds of the young to the wonders of the world.
- Teachers contribute directly to the develop of their country through building the capacity of its citizens.
- All professions emerge from teaching and depend on teaching for its continued improvement, to name just a few.
For more information:
Call the Faculty Secretary at: +264 61 206 3724 OR
The Faculty Officer: +264 61 206 3978
Fax: +264 61 206 3980
Better still, come and talk to us! Our offices are at Block X135 – 138 on the UNAM Main Campus in Windhoek, Namibia.